Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chickpea Stew

Here's another recipe that's just too good not to share: Chickpea Stew! This one is definitely up there on my list of favorites--it's one of those dishes that I start to actually crave if it's been too long since I've made it. (Plus I love any recipe that enables me to drink a glass of wine while I'm cooking!) When I woke up yesterday morning I was glad that I had bought the ingredients for it earlier in the week; Sammy and I had ourselves a little pizza party on Tuesday and I woke up yesterday feeling LOUSY. This body is way too sensitive to junk food when I'm pregnant! Two bowls of stew for dinner last night and I woke up feeling great today!

This recipe comes from my Vegetarian Planet cookbook, by Didi Emmons. These amounts serve 4--I usually make a double batch so I can eat it the next morning for breakfast, too (if we're being honest)

STEW:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced onion
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, sliced thin diagonally
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2" squares
2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup red wine
1 heaping teaspoon paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup (or more) cooked chickpeas
1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
COUSCOUS:
2 1/3 cups water
1 1/3 cups couscous
1/2 tsp salt
In a large sauce pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Stir in the carrots, red peppers, tomatoes, salt, pepper & wine. Then add the paprika and cinnamon. Stir and bring the stew to a boil. Turn the heat to low, and cover the pan tightly. Simmer the stew for 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Stir in the chickpeas.
Meanwhile, make the couscous: In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil, and add the couscous and salt. Remove the pan from the heat, cover the pan, and let the couscous stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous by lightly running a fork back and forth in the pan, starting with the very top layer of granules and gradually working your way down.
Stir the almonds, lemon juice and cilantro into the stew. Spoon the couscous into bowls, make a little well in the middle of each and spoon in the stew. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Judi said...

can I use canned chickpeas? I'll make it this week! always love a new yummy soup- thanks!