Saturday, May 30, 2009

33

Well, our trip to the birthing center yesterday was great. What a beautiful place that is! I am especially excited about the huge beds--loving the idea that I will be able to snuggle up with my husband as I am laboring. No more hospital beds for me this time (fingers crossed)!

The stats: Last time I met with the midwife, I was 24 weeks but the baby was measuring 25. That's normal for me--I always measure big, but I also have big babies. The strange part of it was that I didn't believe I was even 24 weeks along (because of my miscarriage in the fall we have been unable to determine an actual due date) so I was surprised to be measuring 25 weeks!

Yesterday, the midwife went to measure my stomach and seemed confused. She kept putting the measuring tape down, feeling the baby, measuring, putting the tape down, feeling again. Finally she wrote something down and then went for the doppler, checking Baby's heartbeat (140 bpm). So I asked: What am I measuring this week? Her answer: Well, you're a bit big. Me: How big? The midwife: 33.

Thirty-three! Holy moly. By all accounts I should maybe be 28 weeks along. Thirty three is a BIG difference. I've never been THAT far off before. Wowzers.

So here's what I'm thinking. Either I'm having a HUGE baby in August sometime, or I should be ready to deliver in, like, July. And from the beginning we've been thinking this babe would come in September.

So, that's where we sit. I think the whole thing is rather comical. It certainly gives credence to the additional aches & pains I've accumulated the last four weeks! I'm far enough along that an ultrasound wouldn't give any answers....so we're in the "wait and see" mode. I'll go back in on June 11th and we'll see what's happening then. Stay tuned!

14 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

Wow! That's quite the discrepancy. I will indeed stay tuned!

:: the monkey pod :: said...

Funny! Here's my theory: you were carrying twins and one of the babies was super cozy and nestled right in. :)

Judi said...

how exciting! well not for the big baby coming out your hoohaw- but that we might have our little bubs around the same week!

Judi said...

do you normally go natural with your babies?

karissa said...

CRAZY! Maybe we won't get to be pregnant together this time around...we were the last two babies in a row I think right?

I need to get my rear in gear and start cooking your baby week dinners! My freezer is empty and waiting :-)

Krista said...

Oh, my favorite mama, you rock! I am so happy I got to see you on Saturday...before that baby comes out 5 weeks earlier than planned!

julie knappert said...

yay! i am selfishly so happy.. happy that now there isn't that chance you'll have to miss the wedding day... nor give birth on the mcallister lawn while we say our vows :) hee hee

Jill said...

Well, I am ready whenever he/she comes :)

Lynne Paulus said...

Whoa, that is a huge difference! I always feel like it's nicer when they tell you the baby is coming sooner than expected rather than later! I'm so excited for you guys and this significant blessing, whenever he/she decides to arrive!

Amy said...

LOL...I would like to second Mina's theory, just for the heck of it! :)

Dana Hope said...

It's almost like the teenager who goes to the bathroom and gives birth while saying "I didn't even know I was pregnant." Well, not really but I like the analogy. I'll keep checking in for updates. Thanks for sharing you cute thing!

Unknown said...

Oh my - 33! What an adventure! OK, too exciting you're doing the birthing center. I'm waiting to see if my husband will eventually be open to #4, and part of my secret hope is to try a birthing center. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you and your little acorns! I hope this hot weather hasn't been too much of a trial. I know it can be very hard in your last trimester. With my 3rd child (an August baby) I had heat rash everywhere!

God bless and keep you as you await His perfect timing.
Kristin

Sarah said...

Good lord that is a big difference! I thought it was crazy when little Henry measured two weeks ahead!