Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Today

Today, when I was putting Reese down for a nap, I found a meatball under his pillow.

A meatball.

Under his pillow.

And if you think that's weird, wait until you hear the conversation that followed.

Me: "Reese, you can't have meatballs down here."

Reese: "But Cole has one."

Me: "He does? Where?"

Reese: "Under his bed."

Me: "Will you get it for me?" (I was, after all, holding the baby. Yeesh.)

Reese climbs around under Cole's bed and rescues a perfect little meatball from the frame of the bed. A place where I would have never, never found it. He hands it to me and I trek upstairs, trying not to laugh my head off.

I walk into the living room.

Me: "Cole, I brought your meatball upstairs and it's on the kitchen counter. No more hiding food in your room, okay?"

Cole: "Well, okay. But we do usually remember it."

What?

Me: "How many other foods have you hidden down there?"

Cole: "Just one. It was a cookie."

Okay, now cookies--that I can understand. But meatballs? Reese said they named them Midnight Meatballs and were saving them until after lights out.

Today might just be my weirdest day as a mother!

5 comments:

karissa said...

On a day that I really needed to giggle, thank you for that. I am so grouchy and done being pregnant and hearing about midnight meatballs just made my day...and made me hungry...for meatballs. Did you know it's possible to gain 6 pounds in one week? Yup, it sure is.

Lynne Paulus said...

That is so funny and gross! I have to confess I used to hide food under my pillow all the time as a kid...usually packaged food though like fruit roll-ups!

Karissa, I'm glad I am not the only one at the end up pregnancy to watch the scale jump every week! I think the last month of my last pregnancy every week was another 3, 4, 5 lbs etc! The Dr. looked at me like you pig what are you eating? but I wasn't really changing much of my diet..really it had been fairly bad all along!

Anonymous said...

I must say, Cole's hidden meatball on the bed frame, is pretty darn gross! I can't imagine what those meatballs must have looked like! Yikes. I, too, remember hiding food but it was mostly sweets. But, meatballs? Hmm. :)

:: the monkey pod :: said...

Too funny! I can't stop laughing!! You're kids are the greatest! Love their imagination.

One time I found candies under the sheets at the foot of the bed on James' side and wrappers under the pillow. So strange! It doesn't end there -- sweet treats "hidden" all around the house and in his car. My goodness.

Charmaine said...

hahah I found this little story while googleing for my blog called "meatball pillow". That's awesome and very cute.